Keep Octave Transposition in Concert Pitch has been added to the Document menu. This will allow C instruments that transpose by octave to maintain their transposition when Document > Display in Concert Pitch is selected.
A Measure Number Bar now appears along the top of the screen in Scroll and Studio View.
Use current document if empty has been added to the MusicXML Preferences dialog box. Wonder what that does? I did too. In the past, when importing a MusicXML file, the import process would place your MusicXML data into a new document. The new file would have the same spacing, fonts, margin widths, etc. as your default file. This new option allows you to open any empty file (like a template) and import the MusicXML data into that file.
Two new templates, Marching Band Tabloid and Studio Orchestra, have been added. Updates have also been made to the Drum Corps and Marching Band Letter templates. The Studio Orchestra template creates the look of a Hollywood film score, and was used to create the example seen above.
Horizontal Scrolling has been enabled with trackpads (Windows only).
New options in the Audio Setup dialog box (an Enabled check box and a Device Error Log button) allow users to enable or disable audio drivers and review any errors associated with those drivers (Windows only).
Several bug fixes and refinements are also included.
Own the Future
To notate music is to look forward – to the performance, and beyond. Whether you’re creating a simple lead sheet, making worksheets for your students, or composing your magnum opus, Finale helps you easily capture your musical ideas, produce beautiful notation, and quickly share the results.
For 25 years, Finale’s unique ability to create anything on the printed page has remained undisputed while other music notation software has come and gone. Finale 2014 is the forward-looking choice with new innovations, making Finale’s trademark freedom and flexibility easy for everyone to use.
Focus on your art, not
When inspiration strikes, Finale takes care of the details so you can focus on your music. Capture ideas as fast as you can – with no obstacles to slow you down.
Your music, your way
In an instant you can move measures, change keys, or perform dozens of edits to capture, arrange, perfect, and print anything you can imagine. Finale even offers creative and editorial input, from automatically harmonizing your melody to indicating when an instrument is out of range.
Enter notes your way
The choice is yours. Play in your notes with a MIDI keyboard, mouse, or computer keyboard. Scan sheet music or import a wide variety of file types, such as MIDI and MusicXML™. You can even capture a brass or woodwind performance with Finale’s MicNotator®.
Prepare to be blown away
Sound quality makes a difference. With Finale you get a selection of world-class instrument sounds from Garritan’s Personal Orchestra, Jazz & Big Band, Concert & Marching Band, and World Instruments libraries. Finale also includes sounds from Tapspace Virtual Drumline.
Experience the quality of Garritan sounds
Pictures at an Exhibition - Modest Mussorgsky
Your music sounds better with
Whether you enter your notes with a MIDI keyboard or a mouse, Finale’s exclusive Human Playback ensures that your music plays back with all the feeling, phrasing, and nuance of a live performance.
Listen to the difference
Debussy excerpt - With Human Playback
Debussy excerpt - No Human Playback
Print it out
Finale makes it easy to achieve printed perfection. Whether you’re creating a lead sheet for a folk song or pushing the boundaries of music notation, Finale lets you achieve anything you can imagine.
Publish perfect scores
Personalize your music to fit your style. From music fonts to chord symbols, from time signatures to music spacing, from lyrics to percussion notation, how your music appears is up to you.
Simply choose a Document Style from Finale’s Setup Wizard, and Finale handles all the details. However, should you choose to customize ANY aspect of your music, Finale lets you do that too.
Your music is as unique as you are. Now it can look as unique as it sounds. Only Finale provides you with the flexibility to create anything you can imagine.
SmartMusic® integration, a Finale exclusive
Instantly save your Finale creations as SmartMusic solo or ensemble accompaniments. Assign the piece to your students, assess their performance, and then celebrate their success.
Finale provides hundreds of customizable music education worksheets. Quickly produce flashcards, puzzles, and exercises for classes in general music, theory and ear training, composition, arranging, and jazz improvisation.
Whether you’re creating music for beginning students,
… or guiding advanced students through harmonic analysis,
… you have the customized tools and resources you need to teach and inspire your students. And, with Finale’s Exercise Wizard, you can create more than 50,000 exercises for your entire ensemble.
Music is a universal languageHow you choose to communicate is up to you. When you’re ready to share your music with the world, Finale provides you with more options than any other notation software.
Share your music as:
- • Audio files (including .MP3, .WAV, and .AIFF)
- • MusicXML™ and MIDI files
- • PDF files – from entire pieces to small excerpts
- • Finale files that can be shared with users of the entire Finale family of products: Finale PrintMusic, Finale SongWriter, and the free Finale NotePad
Percussion Notation – Improved in Finale 2010
Whether you’re an expert user customizing percussion scores, or not sure where a bass drum goes on the staff, Finale gets your percussion notation to look and sound perfect in no time.
New in Finale 2010
Finale has always offered unparalleled power and flexibility with percussion notation – now it’s also incredibly easy to use! We’ve simplified the process of getting notes on percussion staves to look – and playback – exactly the way you want them to.
Easy to Enter
- • Simply drag the cursor over the staff and on-screen feedback indicates whether you’re about to enter a snare, bass drum, or other percussion instrument – and displays the appropriate notehead.
- • Dragging notes up and down the staff scrolls smoothly through all available instruments.
- • Seamlessly copy music back and forth between percussion and standard notation staves.
- • Automatic playback configuration – your snare will playback with a snare sound – and so forth – without any manual intervention.
- • Easily re-map your percussion playback without changing your score. Change playback from one instrument library to another – or to an external midi device. If you use built-in sounds in the office, and external MIDI sounds at home – Finale 2010 was made for you.
- • When more than one instrument appears on the same line or space, you can now control which appears first – you don’t have to switch from side stick to snare.
- • Choose to retain staff position or MIDI pitch when copying between percussion and standard notation staves.
- • On-screen feedback indicates when a staff contains notes not found in that staff’s percussion layout.