Release 24.0.0 (2023-11-7)
- AI Assist left beta - AI Assist is now seamlessly integrated into MAXQDA.
- MAXQDA Transcription - Say goodbye to manual transcription. Say hello to efficiency, accuracy, and convenience.
- Visualizing “Trends” - Discover trends across documents or time.
- A new User Interface - Fresh, modern and minimal.
- Longer names and characters now possible - More characters for codes, comments, paraphases or documents.
- The document management is now streamlined with a unified icon that combines the options for adding new documents or document folders in one easy-to-access location.
- It has been redesigned with an user-friendly toolbar that prominently displays the most important function – creating new codes. Additional options for working with activated codes now only appear when codes are activated, reducing clutter.
- When copying a text segment with source information within MAXQDA, the source information is transformed into a dynamic link that seamlessly connects to the original source. This improves traceability and reference management, making it easier to cross-reference and maintain the integrity of your sources.
- This functionality has been enhanced to allow you to search for codes, documents, and text directly from the toolbar for a more seamless search experience.
- Have received a complete design overhaul, featuring a more spacious and modern design. Additionally, we have relocated the toolbars right above the tables for swift access to essential features.
- Now with the ability to effortlessly duplicate entire document groups with all their content, saving valuable time and effort when preparing your projects for teamwork or intercoder agreement testing.Document Colors. Now without the default blue color of documents, giving you the flexibility to assign your choice of colors to documents for more personalized and meaningful categorization.
- Code Colud: Introducing an advanced option that allows you to include subcodes in the Code Cloud visualization, providing a more comprehensive and insightful view of your code occurrences.
- Code Relations Browser: The visualization for activated codes by activated codes now excludes information about non-activated parent codes, providing a more focused and concise representation of your code relationships.
- Code System: You can now filter your code system using the new "Only Activated Codes" icon to hide all codes that are not activated.
- MAXMaps: Images within MAXMaps are now saved as embedded components within the map itself, rather than external links. Users also have the flexibility to set their own image size limits for embedded images, allowing for more control and customization.
Release 2022.6.1 (2023-05-15)
- Fixes an issue while opening the Word Cloud from the Smart Coding Tool where sometimes the dropdown menus were displayed without content.
- Fixes an issue while selecting a shape element in MAXMaps where the wrong format tab was displayed.
- Fixes an issue while using Japanese as text language where the word separation did not work properly.
- Improved performance when opening the Code Relations Browser for coded segments from large PDF documents.
- Fixes several minor interface issues.
Release 2022.6 (2023-04-26)
- AI Assist
- Create automatic summaries in the Summary Grid. AI Assist can summarize multiple text segments that were coded with the same code to help you explain common themes across your codings.
- Create automatic Code summaries for a number of coded segments. AI Assist can add a summary to the Code memo to help you explain the coded content of a code.
- PDF documents
- You can now use the search and autocode function for paragraphs in the Smart Coding Tool, Categorize Survey Data, and Categorize Paraphrases in PDF documents.
- You can also use the option to autocode paragraphs in PDF documents for the local search in the Document Browser.
- The Complex Coding Query functions "near" and "followed by" are now applicable for PDF documents.
- Smart Publisher
- Now includes new options to choose which data to include in your automatically generated report.
- Easily select or ignore codes, include code memos, and include additional information for coded segments.
- More formatting options.
- More improvements
- Autocoding: You can now autocode directly from the search results table by dragging and dropping a search hit to the code system.
- Document Browser: The Document Browser now has a new, clearer toolbar for zoom options in PDF documents.
- Document System: Quickly add or remove documents with new icons that appear on hover directly in the Document System.
- Export: You can now set a file name and location when exporting the Interactive Quote Matrix directly from the Code Relations Browser.
- Interface: We have improved several tooltips to make them clearer.
- MAXDictio: You can search within stop word lists and go word lists to easily find words.
- QTT: It is now possible to simply add codes and memos to a worksheet via drag & drop.
- Word Trends: You can now select the number of sections to be visualized in the Word Trends yourself.
- Word Trends/Document Portrait: The Word Trends visualization now contains an editable title so you can easily present it in a paper or presentation.
- Fixes an issue while analyzing the intercoder agreement for overlapping of codes at segment level where the document of the second coder could not be opened.
- Fixes an issue where document sets in the Document System could not be renamed via the context menu.
- Fixes an issue while changing the label of a memo with a Chinese keyboard where the text displayed as memo text instead of memo label.
- Fixes an issue while changing the symbol of a code in a hierarchal code map in MAXMaps where MAXQDA quit unexpectedly.
- Fixes an issue while creating a report with the Smart Publisher where some subcodes were considered parent codes and were exported twice.
- Fixes an issue while creating boolean document variables where the variable values were not applied correctly.
- Fixes an issue while deleting a MAXDictio category where the restored category was not displayed immediately after using the undo function.
- Fixes an issue while double-clicking on hits in the Code Configurations where the segments were not interactive.
- Fixes an issue while exchanging image codings via Teamwork Exchange where the coding boundaries were not displayed correctly.
- Fixes an issue while exporting text documents as PDF with visualized coding stripes where some lines were missing.
- Fixes an issue while highlighting text in the Smart Coding Tool where coding the highlighted text with a new code did not work correctly.
- Fixes an issue while importing bibliographic data from RIS files where some tags were not imported properly.
- Fixes an issue while opening project files with a large number of PDF documents where starting MAXQDA was not possible.
- Fixes an issue while printing text documents with paraphrases where some paraphrases were cut off.
- Fixes an issue while renaming code sets in the Document System where selecting and renaming the sets was not possible.
- Fixes an issue while searching for emoticodes in the Code System where the entire code was not displayed.
- Fixes an issue while transferring filtered words from the Word Frequencies results table to the stop word list where non-filtered words were also transferred.
- Fixes an issue while transforming variables into new variables where the name for the transformed variables was not displayed.
- Fixes an issue while using the autotext function in transcription mode where a line break was added for longer abbreviations.
- Fixes several minor interface issues.
- AI Assist
Release 2022.5 (2023-03-01)
Further Improvements for Stats
Improved paragraph recognition for PDF documents
Interactive Quote Matrix and similar tables
Smart Coding Tool
Fixes an issue where opening the PDF bookmark list was not possible.
Fixes an issue while analyzing code relations in the Code Relations Browser where document duplicates were ignored.
Fixes an issue while applying codes to segments in the Overview of Paraphrased Segments table. You can now code each row separately.
Fixes an issue while creating a Code Cloud for codes with identical names, where all instances of the same code name were colored in the same color. They are now displyed in their code color.
Fixes an issue while selecting documents for the "Compare Cases & Groups" feature. You are now able to drag & drop image documents into the selection dialogue.
Fixes an issue while creating a Single-Case Model in MAXMaps where the level of subcodes was not applied correctly.
Fixes an issue while displaying document variable frequencies in Stats. The value column is now sorted properly.
Fixes an issue while displaying long code names in the Document Portrait legend.
Fixes an issue while copying or importing Emojis from non-unicode texts or tables. Emojis are now displayed correctly.
Fixes an issue while creating a hierarchal Code-Subcode Model in MAXMaps. The option "Code size reflects code frequency" is now applied correctly.
Fixes an issue while exporting MAXMaps with layers. Links are no longer placed in the first layer by default.
Fixes an issue while saving a MAXMaps map in a QTT worksheet. The map labels now have an optimized size.
Fixes an issue while importing specific .mweb files on macOS.
Fixes an issue while exporting coded video clips from the Multimedia Browser. This is now possible on silicon based macOS systems.
Fixes an issue while working with multiple documents in tabs where the spellcheck context menu appeared on the wrong document (macOS only).
Fixes several minor interface issues.
Release 2022.4.1 (2023-01-17)
Fixes an issue while activating codes using document variables where activation failed for multiple processes in succession.
Fixes an issue while creating a Code Map where the font for code labels could not be changed properly.
Fixes an issue while displaying Summary Tables in QTT that were created with version 2022.3 or earlier.
Fixes an issue while opening a project file from an encrypted container that caused a conversion error message to appear.
Fixes an issue while saving PDF documents as externally saved documents where documents were imported to the project file even when exceeding the maximum set file size.
Fixes several minor interface issues.
Release 2022.4 (2022-12-06)
[NEW]New Visual Tool: Word Trends
Compare how word frequencies change throughout a text. Use the new Word Trends visualization to explore how frequently different words occur in different sections of a text or PDF document.
Hover over the nodes in the interactive graph to view the frequencies for each section.
Click on a node to get a list of each word occurrence in its original context.Automatic Import from Watched Folders
You can now connect a folder to a MAXQDA project in the new automatic import section in the preferences menu.
Any new files added to this folder are automatically imported into your project and ready for analysis.Code Statistics
Code Statistics can now be created for parent codes as well as for subcodes. Simply open them via the new “Code Statistics” icon in the “Codes” toolbar or via the context menu in the Code System.Onboarding for New Users
After installing MAXQDA, new users are now guided through the first steps.
You can open this onboarding tour anytime by opening ? > First steps.
Open as many documents as you want. You can now open multiple documents side-by-side in floating Document Browser windows. Simply open a document in a new window via the context menu.
Jump to a page for PDF. We’ve updated the page navigation for PDF documents to make it possible to jump to a specific page by simply entering the page number.
Add tables & date. You can now add tables and the current date to your text documents while the edit mode is active.
Autocode. Multiple "Autocode with Dictionary" processes are now combined under one parentcode.
Stop word lists. There are now stop word lists in several languages available in your newly created projects so you don't have to add them manually.
Stop word lists. You can now access your stop word lists directly in the stop word list selection menu.
Word Tree & Word Combinations. You can now save the results for the Word Tree and Word Combinations for later use.
Categorize Survey Data: We have improved the performance for large data sets.
Code System: Creating nonhierarchical groups of codes in a code set is now even easier. Just click on the new "add" icon that appears while hovering over a code set to create new code sets or add codes to an existing set.
Code System: You can now filter your code system using the new "Only Activated Codes" icon to hide all codes that are not activated.
Charts & Tables: MAXQDA now remembers your display settings for charts and diagrams so you can easily create multiple charts and diagrams with your chosen settings.
Code & Document Summaries: Export your Code or Document Summaries without having to export the Memo content as well.
Code & Word Explorer: If you have documents activated, the option "Only activated documents" is automatically applied.
Code & Word Explorer: You can now manage your stop word lists directly in the Code/Word Explorer dialogue.
Complex Coding Query: For the functions "Followed by" and "Near" you can now set a maximum distance up to 9,999 paragraphs, rows, and seconds.
Creative Coding: The menu options in the Creative Coding window were updated to highlight the most used actions in this window.
Import survey data: The import survey data dialogue now displays a preview of the original data to make it easier to decide which data to import as variables and/or codes into the project.
Interface: We have updated the design of several dialogues, all checkboxes, and radio buttons.
Multimedia: Video thumbnails are now loaded and displayed automatically in the Multimedia Browser.
Multimedia: Video thumbnails are now displayed in the Retrieved Segments window.
Keyboard Shortcuts: You can now use additional keyboard shortcuts to easily select text in the Document Browser and the Memo Editor.
Keyboard Shortcuts: You can now use the shortcuts cmd/ctrl+enter to close the Memo Editor and save the Memo.
Summary Grid: When hovering over a memo, the memos content is now displayed in the tooltip.
Summary Grid: You can now search for keywords in the displayed coded segments.
Fixes an issue while autocoding search results from the text search where the options for the coding range were not displayed
Fixes an issue while autocoding whole sentences in PDFs on macOS where some sentences were not calculated correctly and MAXQDA stopped working.
Fixes an issue while converting .mx20 files with MAXQDA 2022 on macOS where the conversion process failed for certain project files.
Fixes an issue while displaying favorite variables in the Smart Coding Tool where it was not possible to apply new codes if one of the favorite variables was a system variable.
Fixes an issue while displaying PDF documents where some PDF documents were displayed blurry.
Fixes an issue while displaying the WordTree where not the full name of the document was displayed in the tooltip while hovering over the text.
Fixes an issue while displaying variables in Cross tables where the full name of the variables was not displayed.
Fixes an issue while exporting retrieved segments to Excel where segments retrieved with the Complex Coding Query option "Interactions" could not be exported.
Fixes an issue while importing a Focus Group Transcript where speakers were not found if there was a line break between the speakers name and the spoken text.
Fixes an issue while importing certain .docx files or files that didn't contain XML closing tags were not imported properly.
Fixes an issue while importing Twitter data where some Tweets were imported more than once.
Fixes an issue while importing webpages via links from Excel list where certain webpages were not imported and MAXQDA stopped working.
Fixes an issue while importing websites in PDF format where importing the websites via an Excel table didn't work.
Fixes an issue while using the scrollbar of the Multimediabrowser for video files where the position could not be changed properly.
Fixes an issue while working in the Summary Grid where it was not possible to highlight and copy comments.