Create piano, band, orchestral, choral, and lead sheet notation
Print arrangements of up to 64 instruments
Comes with fun music and templates to get started
Just point and click
Overture is easy-to-use notation software that's powerful enough to satisfy the needs of today's professional musicians and composers. You can quickly enter notes on-screen with your mouse or computer keyboard, or record a MIDI performance for instant viewing. Overture’s intuitive interface puts powerful editing tools and symbol palettes at your fingertips, so you spend time composing music instead of searching through menus. For complete orchestral arrangements, lead sheets, individual cues or even simple notation examples, there’s no faster way to create professional notation than Overture.
Professional page layout
[Click to enlarge]
Figure 1: Overture Mac Screen
Extensive MIDI features
Overture has powerful MIDI recording capabilities that you won’t find in other notation programs. It reads and writes standard MIDI files, provides tape deck-style transport controls, as well as punch-in/punch-out recording options. Overture offers complete MIDI playback of all dynamics, repeats and endings. And you can edit your recorded MIDI performance on-screen, using either the score window or the graphical piano roll display.
[Click to enlarge]
Figure 2: Overture Windows Screen
Notating drum parts has never been easier. Play your drum kit over the entire range of the MIDI instrument and Overture will remap the notes onto a five line percussion staff. (You can load a drum library map, or create new ones.) Notate both closed and open hi-hats on the same line with an X and circle-X. For more clarity, you can even choose which staff lines show.
Overture is the fastest, easiest and smartest way to notate music as tablature. Bends and other useful markings are fully supported. Automatically takes into account fixed or floating positions, finger span, alternative tunings, capo positions. Adjustable font, staff, note stem size. Automatically transposes fret position number from string to string! All articulations and marks become symbols when entered into blank space.
With Overture you get complete tools for guitar notation. Symbols can be attached to notes or placed anywhere on your score. Guitar bends attach to notes, when notes move the bends will move along with them. Guitar notations include finger articulations, hammer ons, tapping, rotatable and stretchable "bend" articulations with 25 easily adjustable quarter tone steps (+3 to -3 whole tones), tremolo marking, vibrato, barre at fret number, and more.
Overture offers a wide variety of jazz articulations including: lift, slide (pick scrape), rip, wah wah, fall off, spill, stab, flip, smear, bend, doit, plop, wow wow, and shake-with 7 selection line type.
Create your own expression library with unlimited entries. Assign name, font, style, playback parameters and more.
Fully editable expression palette with definable font, font size, font style, line type, end cap, extract on all part selection, and hide in print selection. And you can assign play back parameters to your expression markings: tempo, patch, controller w/ controller value.
• Easy setup with Setup dialog
• 256 staves with 8 voices per stave
• 64 staves per system, unlimited number of systems
• 8 voices per stave, each assignable to a MIDI device
• 0 - 16 lines per staff, choose which lines show, i.e. lines 1 and 5 only
• Hide, show or scale any staff from 25% - 250%
• Hide or show various staff elements including staff lines, key signature, time signature, barlines and clefs
• Automatic page tiling for printout
• 32,768 measures per score
• Scrolling score window during playback
• 34" x 44" maximum page size
• WYSISWYG Page layout—what you see and edit is what you get
• Piano roll MIDI data window
• Zoom score from 10% - 800%
• G (treble clef) G (8va) G (8vb)
• F (bass clef) F (8vb)
• C (movable-tenor, alto, soprano, mezzo soprano clefs)
• Percussion with staff line, notehead and MIDI pitch mapping
• Tablature with fingering, hide stems
• Multiple meters and complex meters
• Different meters between staves are supported graphically
• Supports all note marks and ornaments
• Intelligent placement of noteheads can be manually adjusted
• Accidentals can be dragged anywhere
• Fingering can be attached to notes
• 128th note to triple dotted whole notes
• Tuplets from 1 - 99 over 1 - 99
• Beam patterns are automatic or user defined
• Beaming: cross staff, cross barline, feathered
• Adjustable beam height and angles
• Nested repeats and endings with MIDI playback
• Computer mouse
• Computer keyboard
• MIDI controller/keyboard real time and step time
• Import standard MIDI file, quantize each track differently
• Import Encore and MusicTime files.
• Import MusicXML files.
• Support user defined symbols/suffixes in libraries
• Automatic chord recognition in step entry (MIDI) mode
• Mouse click and computer keyboard entry of chords
• Chords transpose
• Support user defined guitar frames in libraries
• Mouse click entry of chords
• Chord can be altered after they are entered
• Lyrics--8 verses for each voice--mass entry, paste from word processor
• Rehearsal marks
• Page text including footer, header, titling with page numbers, date and time
• Measure and system text
• Engraver settings
• Color settings
• Libraries for: allotment table, chord symbol, drum maps, etc.
• MIDI playback: as recorded (MIDI data), as written or in swing
• Records all MIDI events, including notes, controllers, aftertouch, pitch bend, key velocity, etc.
• Graphic editing including Strip Chart for drawing in controller data
• MIDI playback of all rests, dynamics, trills, repeats, tremolos
• Assign MIDI values to dynamics (pppp to ffff), hairpins, and some articulations for playback
• Tape deck style MIDI transport controls with punch in/out and wait for note.
• 480 PPQ (parts per quarter note) capture of MIDI
• Host up to 256 instruments
• Save playback to wave file
• Instrument definitions for most sample libraries playback to wave file
• Mac: any Macintosh compatible printer
• Win: any Windows compatible printer
• Use any alternate music font, such as the Jazz Font or GoldenAge handwritten-style fonts (alternate fonts available separately)
• Part extraction with auto transpose and multi-measure rests
• Standard MIDI files
• Includes notes and chord symbols
• All elements (notes, stems, beams, accidentals, ornaments, fingerings, staves, clefs, barlines, all text including lyrics, chord symbols, dynamic markings) can be clicked and dragged or nudged with arrow keys
• Option drag to copy is supported
• Automatic recognition of elements, edit any item without switching tools
• Copy/paste/merge/paste special for pasting only certain elements
• Hide, show or scale any element 25 - 250%
• Automatic or manual voicing and transcription, including re-transcribe
• Beat charts are user modifiable including copy and paste
• Step entry includes notes, rests, rhythmic slashes and chord symbols.
Need to include a few measures for a textbook example, test brochure or multimedia presentation? Just click and drag over any section of the score to capture it as a separate file. Then save the data as either a PICT or an EPS file and place it into the publishing program of your choice. Macintosh version only.The score window in Overture allows you to notate your music quickly and easily. You control all notation elements with the mouse or computer keyboard. Extensive text handling functions make it easy to add or edit lyrics, page text, floating text, measure text and rehearsal marks.
Macintosh OS X 10.4 and above
• Macintosh 68020 or Power Macintosh Native
• 256Mb application RAM
• Macintosh-compatible Printer
• Macintosh-compatible MIDI interface required for MIDI recording
• CD-ROM drive
• Pentium 100 MHz
• 256Mb application RAM
• Windows-compatible Printer
• Windows-compatible MIDI interface required for MIDI recording
• CD-ROM drive